me and Tim Oct 2013

me and Tim Oct 2013

Monday, February 27, 2012

End of Day 1 at the Convention in Austin

The day had me reeling from all that there was to see and do. The cakes were spectacular and the vendors were wonderful. Not just because they wanted to sell you their product but they were willing to share their knowledge with you. I picked every brain I could. I asked tons of questions and learned tons of stuff!
One of the classes for the day was "Hand painting on Butter Cream or Fondant". Here you see some of my attempts to create what the teacher was showing us. Yeah - don't look too close - this is gonna take some practice!
 In order to get our certificates we had to paint a tree and a flower. I don't know how I got my certificate because that flower can use some serious work - maybe the teacher felt sorry for me!
 If you don't recognize this guy then you don't watch "The Next Great Baker"! This is Tony from season 2!! If you do watch the show - and you still don't recognize him, let me help you out... he was the one that stayed in the freezer the longest! He said (of that episode) that after Buddy let them out of the freezer that he (Buddy) brought him coffee and a cupcake from the bakery - he said it was the BEST cupcake he's ever tasted!
 Another class I took today was on Airbrushing. Honestly I was disappointed in this class. The instructor spent a ridiculous amount of time talking about equipment and not so much on technique. However, one thing I did learn - and I'm SO gonna do - is that "if you can see through it then you can paint through it" and that's what we did - we painted through fabric!
Check it out!! Pretty cool huh? Wouldn't that be fun on a Halloween cake? Think Black and Orange!! Oh yeah!
 After the convention I went to Pappasitos for dinner. YUM! It was 9pm when I got there and it was a 45 minute wait... yeah, Utah has NOTHING like this place! So, to pass the time, I called the kids and chatted with them until my buzzer buzzed me in!
 I ordered the chicken nachos. Oh my goodness - they were so delish!
And I, of course, had to have a pina-colada!

Finally - to end this post - here are a few more of my favorite cakes from the show. These are in the Adult, advanced category. the crown is my favorite - that whole thing - everything you see - is edible!!Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

The Circus said...

So fun! That's so cool that you got to go and do this.

The Magnolia Mamma said...

Isn't Pappassito's great? It is my favorite of all, right next to Pappadeauxs. Glad you're absorbing so much info. Love your talent.