me and Tim Oct 2013

me and Tim Oct 2013

Saturday, April 26, 2008

T-Ball's biggest fan!


T-Ball, what a funny thing to watch. Little boys in oversized shirts, hats pulled down over their eyes, baggy pants, mitts that make their hands look gigantic all running around bases with huge smiles while trying to make eye contact with their dad to be sure to meet his approval. CUTE!! Nathan is now old enough to play T-ball and I must admit, the practices have been fun - can't wait to see what the games are like. These little guys are so cute - they are just out to have fun. The competition bug hasn't bitten them yet and their main concern is to play with the other kids! Isn't that great?!

Nathan is one of those kids - he just wants to have fun. He doesn't care if he catches the ball or even hits it. His run from base to base is a jog at best. His helmet is too big and his shirt comes to his knees, but he sure is cute!

As I sat in my car today - watching practice because it was too chilly to be outside in my opinion - I was watching Nathan and Tim. Nathan was very intent on his coach and what he was saying. He was doing his best to listen and follow through. Now why doesn't he do that at home? I could also see Tim. He was also doing his best to listen and help the kids on the team all while keeping an eye on his son. (By the way Tim, I can tell that you're very proud - that big smile when he actually hit the ball, then again when he rounded 3rd and headed for home - and this was just practice!). I am so proud of Tim for trying his hardest to be Nathan's fan and not his coach. It's my opinion that that's what kids need from us as parents. They need us to be their fans, they need us to support their decisions and when they want us for a coach then we can do that too! I think that many of us forget what it was like to be a kid - you know, before the competitive streak sets in! I think that we want so badly for our kids to succeed that we push and push and for what? For them to be the best? For them to be the smartest? For them to live in a way that we didn't get to? NO - that's not how it should be! One day we'll be gone and they will have to go on - and when they look back what do you want them to remember? Personally, I want my child to say "I miss my biggest fan!" Nathan - right now, I'm your biggest fan - you may not realize it but you make me proud and I love to watch you grow in your "boy" element! Keep having fun, son, and I'll keep cheering for you - no matter what!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A mother is always the child's greatest fan.I can feel you excitement and pride =)
I have two boys of my own and I cant wait to be there on any of the games they want to join. Let them have fun and enjoy life in their own perspective.