me and Tim Oct 2013

me and Tim Oct 2013

Tuesday, December 2, 2008

A lesson from my lil' sis...

I don't give my children an allowance - they have to earn what they want - money or otherwise. I think that part of being a family is working together to keep things in order and such. I don't think that you should be paid to do your part as a family member. After all, when you are paid to do chores then you aren't learning the value of helping out around the house and contributing to the family BECAUSE you are part of it! Of course there are times when a child goes above and beyond what they are typically asked to do and that does deserve a reward. Our rewards often come in the form of a movie or dinner out somewhere unless they REALLY want the money (which K usually does). But it is the Christmas season and my kids are dying to earn some money so that they can buy Christmas presents. So, in this, I'm taking a hint from one of my little sisters! She pays her kids during November and December for jobs well done so that they can feel like they've earned a little Christmas money. So, this past week we incorporated (It will only last for this month) ROOM INSPECTIONS!!
This is where I get to randomly inspect their rooms for beds made, dirty clothes picked up, etc... and if they pass the white glove test then they can earn some money. I keep a list of who passed and on what day and then at the end of the week I give them what they earned. For my children this is a real chore. It's not that they can't clean their rooms, but these free spirits HATE picking up things when they are done with them. So to keep your room constantly clean because there MIGHT be a surprise inspection, just kills them!
So far M is the only one to pass all of the inspections. (THAT'S A CHRISTMAS MIRACLE!). So, we'll see how it goes. I think I like this better than just handing them some money and saying "there, go buy a present!". Yes - this way they are learning! Thanks for the tip AA!!!!

2 comments:

Carter Clan said...

LOL it is a good idea for sure. I too might have to steal that idea.

msaonika said...

Am I the second A? :O It makes it nice to not have to fight with them over something like christmas money - especially if they earned it! I am glad that it's working (Somewhat) for you. :D By the way - they have a jar on the counter so they can SEE their earnings... makes them both work harder to keep it done when I remind them of how LITTLE they have in the jar... BWAHAHAHAA!