me and Tim Oct 2013

me and Tim Oct 2013

Friday, December 5, 2008

Memorable Christmases...

What is one of your most memorable Christmases? Did you have a favorite gift as a child - something that still sticks in your mind when Christmas rolls around?
I did and I'm sure that any of my family members that are reading this are already chuckling!!
So, let me share this memory if for nothing else than a good laugh and to make my kids chuckle in the years to come!
Do you remember Z Cavaricci pants? Think really hard - back to the 80's! They were sort of ballooned out, had the cool label on the zipper, you tucked them into your boots (the ones just like Journey wore). Yeah, you know what I'm talking about - those $100.00 pair of pants that you HAD TO HAVE but there was no way that your mom or dad would pay that much?!
I wanted these so bad. I just knew if I had them that I'd be the coolest gal in school! I begged. I pleaded. I cried. I did extra chores. I begged some more. I tried to bribe my siblings for their money. You name it, I tried it, just for this pair of pants!
Christmas rolled around and there was NOT A SINGLE BOX that looked as if it could have a pair of pants. With every present I opened was boring and I became more and more disappointed, more and more pouty you could say. Christmas was a dud!!!
Then I got to a little box - about the size of a note card. Inside was a note and here is what it read....
"Ok Ozzie, to find your last gift - go to the toilet and the seat you must lift". I did this and found $20.00 and another note - it said..."No time to sit, move right ahead and your next clue is under Cameron's bed".. again, I went and peeked, again I found $20.00 and a note. This one read..."Now after crawling in this trash it's time to get clean - so look for your next clue in the washing machine". Again I moved on - gladly collecting cash and found my next note that said "Merry Christmas, drive safely" -attached to a $20.00 bill. You see, the money was for driver's ed and not a pair of pants. Although I was happy to have the cash I was still bummed about those darn pants.
After the excitement of watching me run all over the house plucking twenty dollar bills out of secret places we went back to watching everyone else open their gifts. When it was all over my dad asked how our Christmas was and from me he got something like "it was good" in a voice that had to be forced to sound happy. At this point he put his arm around my shoulder and said "you don't sound so happy, why don't you go and get the paper that made its way under the couch and throw it away" so I did and while doing so I found a box. An unopened box. A box for me! Do you know what was in it? YES ... you guessed it... Z. CAVARICCI'S!!. I was so excited.
I wore those pants everywhere and my family still reminds me of it!! I bet I wore them to every driver's ed class I had!! Too funny!
What is one of your favorite memories?!

No comments: