me and Tim Oct 2013

me and Tim Oct 2013

Thursday, January 8, 2009

Today's question is...

Q: Do you play a musical instrument? When did you learn, why do you like it?

A: It's so funny that I drew this question for today because I was just considering a post on how 2 of my kids will start music lessons this week! But more of that later on!! (when I have pictures to post!)
Anyway, I DO play an instrument - I play the piano. I don't like people to know this because I essentially taught myself how to play and I don't feel that I'm all that great at it. People can be cruel and if you screw up, even a little, they let you know! I had piano lessons when I was young (like 6 or 7) but I often skipped them because I didn't like the teacher. When my mom found out that I wasn't showing up- the lessons stopped. At that point I knew what middle C was and a few other notes. As time passed and the piano sat in our home I would find myself sitting there with my simple books, counting each note on the keyboard and then writing it in the book. After months of this it was easy to recognize the notes and therefore play the songs.
I took a lesson here and there throughout my life - just something to help me along when I couldn't figure it out myself - but nothing extensive. I even took a piano class in high school for one semester but it didn't teach me anything new.
The pitfall of having learned on my own is that I can't count the timing of the music. I do like being able to play the piano though. It gives me an outlet for when I'm angry (hard, loud songs) or when I'm sad (soft, slow songs) and even when I'm happy (fun, upbeat songs). As a young girl I would often sit for hours just playing to help clear my head. So there you have it - I play the piano - I'm not great at it - but it's a tiny talent that I've been given and that I've tried to develop over the years.

1 comment:

elkaholic said...

Ahhh, now I know how to interpret your mood when you play. That is some useful information.
LOVE YA!