Well, Mrs. Martha has been with us for 2 weeks and today she has to go home. We'll miss her -but her hubby misses her now so I guess we have to let her go. She's been such a wonderful help while she was here - corralling kids, cleaning up messes, taking us places we've never been. It's always fun when grandma comes - can't wait until she comes back!
Q: Describe a visit to your grandparents home as a child
A: HA HA HA - I laughed immediately when I read this one! You see, we never really lived in Louisiana where both sets of grandparents are so that meant that when we went for a visit that our time was divided so we got to see everyone!
When we'd visit my Grandma Alice (mom's mom) there would always be a TON of family that would show up to greet us! People would be crawling everyone! My Grandpa Jack would sit in his recliner holding "mouse" (the family dog) and just smiling. Sometimes he'd be smoking. Other times he'd have a beer in his hand. But he was always there - just smiling. Then my grandma would be cooking - usually round steak and rice with gravy - and the rest of us would sit and visit. A lot of the time the "parties" would be held under the patio and my uncles would cook up some gumbo while everyone brought something yummy to share. I loved those visits because you got to see everyone at least once!! One memory I have from one of these visits is riding a motorcycle with my FAVORITE uncle Brian. There was a ditch (not very big) that he wanted to jump over and when he did, I hit my face on the mirror. OUCH!
Then there were the visits to my Grandma Ross's home (dad's mom). All of my cousins practically lived at her house because she basically raised them so it was always a reunion. Those visits were met with funny shaped pancakes in the mornings and trips to McDonald's in the afternoons. She had a HUGE yard (couple of acres) and we'd find ourselves outside most of the time. There were pecan trees on her land and her driveway was paved with shells - we spent a lot of time looking for pecans amongst those shells! Grandma Ross didn't keep a tidy home - she loves to "collect" things and that made the trips to her home an adventure. You never knew what you'd find - or what she'd let you have! One of my favorite memories from her home is the "W" bed. You see, the mattress had so many lumps and bumps that it made you feel like a W when you slept! GOOD TIMES!!
3 comments:
AHHH! Grandparents are next on my list of "starts". I agree...GOOD TIMES!
ha ha I think I remember the day that happened. He had a moped and we would ride it around the yard with all those trees. I remember riding someone on the back of it and we crashed...LOL. He tried to do crazy things with me on the back too! YUM....Gumbo at Christmas! I miss the food and being able to see everyone at one time. It's hard going to La. and having to go to everyone's house or work to say Hi. UGH, but if you were in town you would be my FIRST stop, like you were a few Thanksgiving's ago :)
I'm loving your blog! I'm gonna write down the 1 year of supplies as it goes along. Maybe you could direct me to a list somewhere!
Post a Comment