
Q: Where were you and what were you doing the day of the Challenger Space Shuttle Explosion?
A: January 28, 1986 - I was 10 years old and in the 4th grade. I remember being excited about the Challenger launch - there was so much talk about "the teacher" that was going up, but that wasn't what interested me. We lived in California at the time. I had recently visited Vandenburg AFB - it's the Air Force Space Command organization responsible for all Department of Defense space and missile launch activities on the West Coast. My dad was working on a project there (with a different space shuttle), so the launch of the Challenger was particularly interesting to me. Unlike many people, I don't remember what I was wearing but I do remember where I was. I was at school like a normal 10 year old at 8:30am! We got to our classes and as soon as roll was called we were ushered to the media center (the common room that connected all the class rooms - imagine a pentagon - the media center would be the middle of that with the classrooms on the outer ring). Anyway, we got in and there were 4 tvs - in a circle. Each class took a seat in front of one of the tv's. Then it was on - live - how awesome! I remember counting down outloud with my classmates and seeing the teachers watch in amazement as one of their own would be taking part in the "teacher in space" program! I can even tell you that I was on the 2nd row of kids, the south side of the media center.
We watched the boosters ignite and the power of the thrust on the ground. Then it lifted off. We clapped and watched in amazement at this beast rocketing thousands of miles an hour into space. 73 seconds later it blew up. I remember just starring at the tv. I remember thinking "something's wrong". I remember crying. I remember how quickly the teachers turned off the tv and ushered us right back to the classrooms. I remember the silence around the whole school for the rest of the day. Everyone was stunned.
The footage played over and over again for the next few days. Analysts trying to determine what happened. Theories popping up everywhere. I cried again. My heart ached for those people, their families, and the space program. Did we not know how to send a rocket into space?
It came out later that the O-ring failed. For me, the reality of what happened finally clicked. When we were visiting Vandenburg, my dad showed us an O-ring and explained it's function in keeping the shuttle safe. So when the report came out that it hadn't contracted properly - I could see it clearly in my mind. My heart was still broken. The cause was now clear but that didn't help. It wasn't human error. That didn't help either.
I still think back on that day every time I see a shuttle lift off now. I still wonder if it's going to make it to it's destination or disintegrate over the ocean. I think that every lift off is a tribute to those that didn't make it - a sign that we've learned from their tragedy and that we are improving.
1 comment:
I don't remember anything about that day. I know it happened but there's no memory to support it. I'm sure I was aware at the time, I guess I'm kind of glad to not remember. Your memory is very vivid. Impressive! I was 13.
Post a Comment