My intention with the journal jar was to use it throughout the year and post my answers to the questions here. It's been a while since we've seen a question from the infamous jar because there has been lots of other things going on that I've wanted to tell you about. Today, however, I think I'll turn to the jar of many questions....
Q: What is your favorite book or story?
A: This is a semi loaded que
stion - I'm an English major - I read books! But when I read the question and saw the word "story" in there - I immediately thought of a story that my Father used to tell me when I was a child.
The story was banned in written form in the US in the mid 70's but my sister, AA managed to locate it overseas and purchased a copy for all of us to add to our collections. The story is called "Little Black Sambo". It's about a little boy who has the most beautiful colored items - umbrella, shoes, shirt, etc.. and there is a tiger who wants what he has. So the tiger says "give me your umbrella or I'll eat you" so Sambo has no choice but to give it up! Then a second tiger, and a third come and the same thing happens. Later the tigers meet up and they want what the other tiger has so they get into a chase around a tree. They go so fast that they melt into each other and turn into tiger butter! Sambo takes the butter home to his mama and she puts it on pancakes! YUM! I love that story.
stion - I'm an English major - I read books! But when I read the question and saw the word "story" in there - I immediately thought of a story that my Father used to tell me when I was a child.
The story was banned in written form in the US in the mid 70's but my sister, AA managed to locate it overseas and purchased a copy for all of us to add to our collections. The story is called "Little Black Sambo". It's about a little boy who has the most beautiful colored items - umbrella, shoes, shirt, etc.. and there is a tiger who wants what he has. So the tiger says "give me your umbrella or I'll eat you" so Sambo has no choice but to give it up! Then a second tiger, and a third come and the same thing happens. Later the tigers meet up and they want what the other tiger has so they get into a chase around a tree. They go so fast that they melt into each other and turn into tiger butter! Sambo takes the butter home to his mama and she puts it on pancakes! YUM! I love that story.There are many books that I like - almost everything by Stephan King
or Shakespeare. I love the Great Gatsby and The Wednesday Letters and To Kill a Mockingbird. I adore Edgar Allen
Poe as well. As a child I don't remember reading much. I really don't remember enjoying books until High School when I had a teacher act out the murder of Macbeth (I LOVE THAT ONE). That's when I really started enjoying the written and oral traditions of story telling. I am fond of the Velveteen Rabbit too - and that love has passed to my kids - they love that story! Ah books and stories - so fun!
or Shakespeare. I love the Great Gatsby and The Wednesday Letters and To Kill a Mockingbird. I adore Edgar Allen
Poe as well. As a child I don't remember reading much. I really don't remember enjoying books until High School when I had a teacher act out the murder of Macbeth (I LOVE THAT ONE). That's when I really started enjoying the written and oral traditions of story telling. I am fond of the Velveteen Rabbit too - and that love has passed to my kids - they love that story! Ah books and stories - so fun!
3 comments:
I LOVE THAT BOOK - The little black sambo. I don't know where my copy is... but at least you still have yours, right! I love the great Gatsby too, most people don't really appreciate it. What a great post... :D You and I are going to have to go to the Shakespeare festival sometime... :D
I LOVE THAT BOOK TOO! I found a copy of it at a little store on Main Street in bountiful. I bought it for my grandma for Christmas. My Grandpa and Grandma read that to me all the time.
Heidi -that's too funny - I didn't think there was anyone else out there who knew about Sambo! (especially if you weren't from the south!) HA HA HA - SO AWESOME!
Post a Comment