Today our adventures lead us to Ensign Peak! Now this isn't the highest peak in UT, nor is it very difficult to climb. We started making our way up, step by step. L wanted to run and keep up with N. M was screaming at N to get back with the group or he would "fall and die" and K was just taking her time right along the trail with me! The hike wasn't so bad until about 100 yards from the top. Suddenly there was no side - no railing - no rope - NOTHING to keep you from "falling and dieing". Yeah! I put L up on my shoulders to keep a better hold of him and we went on a little further. The trail started to narrow and become rather steep - the "cliff" seemed to grow exponentially in minutes and was suddenly the Grand Canyon in my mind. I apologized to the kids and told them that I couldn't go any further and that we needed to head back down. Surprisingly they agreed and didn't make a fuss - and down the peak we went. They all started saying things like "I was tired anyway" or "thank goodness, it was starting to get cold". K offered to run up and take pics for me - but I declined because I really didn't want her going up the rest of the way alone. 
On the way down K kept asking "are you ok?" and when she was finally sure that I was, L took over the asking "you k? k? k?" - "yes L, I'm ok" and then a minute later "k?" (looking up at me with those big blue eyes - silly boy). Anyway, we made it back to our car safe and sound and quickly turned on the heater! It was a little chilly - the wind was blowing furiously and there was still snow on the ground towards the top of the peak. M begged for hot chocolate - but we weren't going home - we were headed to the Daughters of the Utah Pioneers museum.
WOW - that was a site to see! 6 floors of memories, of personal possessions, all preserved for us to see today. It was incredible - I will go back there! It was a great day! A little cold - but we survived our hike and other explorations! What fun!!
2 comments:
Ensign peak does get a little "tight" near the end. I'm proud of you though...you almost made it. What's on the agenda today and tomorrow? Mom and Dad are leaving this morning and I'm ready for some exploring.
You are such a good mom!
Post a Comment