me and Tim Oct 2013

me and Tim Oct 2013

Monday, August 24, 2009

Bittersweet!

The silence in home home right now is bittersweet! On one hand I am smiling at the sweet peace and quiet that surrounds me (ok, except the bird is chirping and L is bouncing balls - but otherwise it is quiet!). I love the quiet - I love the way it makes my mind feel open to thought and possibilities! On the other hand, however, today the silence means emptiness. It means that my responsibilities have changed - again. With this silence we move from hours and hours of activities and such to countless homework, new friends, tears, joy, confusion, growth, and learning.
Today is the first day of school and can you believe that I have a 6th grader, a 2nd grader and a 1st grader? YUP - I think I'm the only mom that cried and I don't even have a kindergartner!
N was the first one awake today! I don't know what time he got up but I was up at 6:45 and he was already dressed with his back pack on when I saw him. Yup - he was a little excited!
The girls rolled out of bed rather easily and we moved through our routine like a well greased machine. L even found his place in all the hustle and bustle and made sure that everyone knew where their backpacks were!
Tim and I walked the kids to school and met all their teachers outside. They immediately found "old" friends and met some new ones! They smiled at their teachers, waved goodbye to us and that was it - our kids have been turned over to the sweet men and women who chose education as their profession! I think it's going to be a great year - one full of learning and fun - one full of firsts and lasts. I can't wait for them to come home today and tell me all about their first day back to school! Until then, L and I will hang out and get some laundry done, sing songs and watch "Between the Lions"!

2 comments:

Martha said...

They look so cute. Hope you have a good day!

Anna said...

Aislynn!!! Good to find you in the blogosphere! Ethan was missing Orchard Elementary today. When he got home he said he missed his school because everyone at his new school speaks Spanish. Ughhh. Oh well, maybe he'll be bilingual?!