me and Tim Oct 2013

me and Tim Oct 2013

Sunday, August 23, 2009

they think he's contagious

My dad is in the hospital. He's rather sick and a few days ago, his wife decided to take him to the hospital. He has had a fever for a few weeks that has been as high at 104.5 and hasn't really broken. He had a cough that lasted over a year, went away, and now is back with avengance! My dad HATES hospitals and will not spend any longer in one than he has to - but he went willingly this time and that tells us that he's really sick and has no energy to fight it. When admitted, the Dr. said that he had pneumonia, but the attending Dr. later said that he didn't because his lungs are clear.
The nurses have been giving him Tylenol every four hours which has kept his fever slightly over 101 - so a little better than it has been but still enough to make you miserable! They found out that his white blood cell count is horribly low as well - indicating an infection somewhere but they don't know where! This really is a very scary thing for me - the thought of my dad being in a hospital and no one knowing what is wrong. I see my dad as the man who "goes, goes, goes". The one that water skis, and is hard working and active all the time. To think that he is in a state that he couldn't go out and even play golf right now, really bothers me.
Anyway, I guess the Dr.'s in Mississippi throw up their hands pretty quick on these sorts of things because a few days ago they called in the Dr. for "infectious diseases" and yesterday they moved my dad to "isolation" and placed this sign on his door. I thought this was sort of funny because my dad has been around numerous people - with his hacking cough and such - and no one else has gotten whatever it is that is ailing him. But you never know - right? Maybe he'll end up on "Mystery Diagnosis"!
So he continues to be in the hospital and will remain in isolation until they rule out anything that's going to cause a pandemic! Fortunately they have already ruled out Malaria, Swine Flu, Bird Flu, and West Nile. I don't know what he's got - I do hope they find out - but after I got off of the phone with him, I started coughing too - maybe I need to wear a mask when we talk - what do you think?!

5 comments:

Christy Woolston said...

That's why they call it a medical "practice". Sorry your Dad's been sick and I hope they figure it out and get him back up and running in no time. We'll send some prayers his way.

Martha said...

I hope he gets well soon. Our prayers are with him. Niels wonders if it is Lyme Disease.

Tiffany said...

So scary...and even harder I'm sure with not being able to be there. I hope they figure things out quickly so he can get back to "go, go, go."

JSCrawford said...

We love your dad and to hear he's sick concerns us. We'll keep him in our prayers and hope for a speedy recovery.

Stephy Sue said...

IVs, IVs, IVs!!! IVs act so much more quickly than anything else (for the fever and pain and what not)...even though they can be miserable and in the way! All I can say about hospitals is that you have to be super patient if you want them to treat it the most effective way possible. That can be really frustrating, but you don't want them to treat the wrong thing. What a pain, and it will take him a little while to recover as well. Blah...I just hate that whole situation!! I hope they figure it all quickly....shoot, I just hope they figure it out and don't keep giving you nonsense answers! What a scary situation, but at least he's in the care of doctors!:)

*Sorry I rambled...clearly this post brought back memories for me*