me and Tim Oct 2013

me and Tim Oct 2013

Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Another Dr. apt.


Today M had another visit with the pediatric psychologist! Now that we have a diagnosis - I'm looking for these appointments to correct my failures as a mother when it comes to helping M! However, I felt that we didn't get anywhere today. I felt like we were just talking about the same ole same ole and not getting any concrete solutions to real issues that come up in her every day life.
However, I know that there isn't going to be a fix-all solution here. I know that with each complicated issue will come a simple solution - a different way of thinking or viewing the situation that will make M feel more comfortable and able to decipher what's going on around her.
In our appointment today I was asked how M behaves in a variety of family situations. During the course of this discussion, Dr. G decided to pat M on the back over and over and over. He would just pat up and down her back and squeeze her hands and tickle her fingers and then pat her on the back again. Prior to this, M wouldn't talk to him - look at him - answer any questions - NOTHING! But during this time she was more receptive to his questions and even became playful with him. He told me that M is a "hands on" type of person - she will learn and listen best when actively engaged in touching or having something in her hands.
I also discovered something else about M - an insight to her mind. M lives in a "rigid" world. There are things - like food - that fit into certain categories for her and they aren't movable. For example - pancakes are a breakfast food or pizza is a dinner food. If I served pancakes for dinner - M would probably eat it, but within a few minutes of "dinner" she would ask "what's for dinner" - because to M - eating pancakes means breakfast - even if we ate at 6pm.
Thank goodness for this little insight because I find myself rather frustrated with M from time to time when she constantly asks "when is lunch" or "what's for dinner" - especially since we already ate lunch or dinner. So for me - I need to work on recognizing which foods she might have categorized where and help explain what we are eating, what time it is, and why we are choosing to have X (especially if the food can be perceived as a snack or breakfast when it's dinner, etc..) CRAZY HUH?
But - Knowledge is power and with this little tid-bit we can take another step down our road of learning with M!! So cool!

1 comment:

msaonika said...

You should talk to your Ped Psych about books that will help you learn things - I know you feel like you are getting no where, (BABY STEPS), but, as my own psych pointed out, in fact- you are. Learn all you can, and then be diligent about implementing it. In fact, this would be a good time to look inward as well - all of us need a little fine tuning. :) BABY STEPS. :) Glad to see that you are learning new ways to communicate with M. HUGS