me and Tim Oct 2013

me and Tim Oct 2013

Thursday, October 8, 2009

a genetic link to Autism

This evening Tim informed me of a news story that discusses a genetic link to Autism. Click HERE to read the story! Researchers have discovered a gene that is basically a protein that helps your brain connect the firing of neurons - and this protein has gone through some mutations which could be partially responsible for Autism. As the article states - care of those with Autism should go on as it is now - but this could be the opening of a new door for a lot of people!
We are new to the world of Autism and we have a lot to learn. Today - and the past few days - have been rough in our home when it comes to M. There have been a lot of tears and a lot of stomping! I've been called "meaner" (meanie in M terms) more than once! I wasn't emotional over this article but I am hopeful that one day there will be more answers. It may not be in time for us - or maybe it will be - but those answers and solutions will come and it will be a bright and beautiful day for many. I'm so grateful for the advances in medicine and genetic research that has allowed these brilliant individuals to make this new discovery. How exciting!

1 comment:

Christy Woolston said...

YAY for breakthroughs in research.