Today I asked each child this question:"If Santa could only bring 1 gift to each child - only 1 thing - what would you want him to bring to you?"
I asked this to see if I got ANYTHING that would be remotely close to what they wanted - and if not - would it be too late to seek out that ONE thing?
This single question caused a lot of thought. I mean - they are, after all, limited to only ONE item and with there being so much that they want - it's critical that they pick just the right thing that will make them happy even if NOTHING ELSE is given on Christmas morning.
N was the first to answer with "A Nintendo DSI". I turned my head to the side a little and said "really? That is the ONLY thing that will make you happy all year if you got NOTHING ELSE?" and with a contemplative look he said "You know, maybe a sled - but not a roll up one - but the kind that you can put your feet in". (I nodded and wondered - can I find one of those? Are they too much?)
Then M came along: "I want a roll up sled so that I can take it to school". So I asked "Are you sure that's the ONE gift that you would ask Santa to bring?" and with a big cheesy grin she said "YUP" (strike 2 on my part - I didn't get a sled for anyone!)
Then K says "If Santa can only bring ONE gift then I'd want peace on Earth and good will towards men. HA - just kidding - I'd want a puppy- a Jack Russell Terrier and I'll name it Casey". I replied - "wouldn't that be sort of cruel of Santa - to bring a dog to a place that won't allow you to have a dog - just so you have to give it away?"
Then she says "Fine - then I want a Nintendo DSI" (oh here we are back to that one - WHATEVER!)
So - thinking I was being clever I said "well - Santa had to fire some Elves this year thanks to budget cuts and other job losses so I don't think he'll be buying a toy that is more than $150.00!!!"
Promptly - without missing a beat - N pipes in: "well, if he had to fire elves then how will their ears get back to normal when they aren't at the North Pole anymore?"
Yeah - I had no response!
2 comments:
Nice! how could you not burst out laughing?
I did the same, but asked them what they asked Santa for. Yeah! I went out shopping yesterday, and couldn't find the one thing they asked for. FRUSTRATING!
M is so cute! Love that kid.
LOL...haven't you learned kids are always smarter than we are! Just when we think we have them figured out. LOL. Merry Christmas My Dear Cuz! Love You
Post a Comment