me and Tim Oct 2013

me and Tim Oct 2013

Friday, March 5, 2010

Culinary School

In case you weren't aware... I've always wanted to go to some sort of culinary school. I've never really wanted to go to be a full fledged chef or anything like that.. but cooking fascinates me. I like trying new things. I like making new recipes and trying them out on my family! (they are good guinea pigs). Anyway, my point is that cooking (mainly baking and pastry stuff) is something that I've always been interested in and I would like to get better at doing! As I was reading through some things yesterday, I came across a blog on wedding cakes. I've done a few of these... so my interest was peaked! Some of the designs were beautiful - elegant- simple and I KNEW... I could totally do that! (see... I've done it before!) Others were complex and intriguing and through further investigation I found out that the creator used things like "airbrushing" to get the effect she wanted and suddenly I found myself back to thinking "I need to go to culinary school to learn these things"! So - I looked up a school in SLC - just for fun. I found the curriculum and the number of credit hours it would take to graduate with an "associate of science in baking and pastries" and I crunched the numbers and you know what ... it would be more than $50K - yeah, $52,528.00 for less than 2 yrs of school! CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT??? So, for now, I'll stick to desiring to take classes at Orson Gygi - or other private chefs that offer to do such things. But man... it was fun to think about - even for just a moment!

4 comments:

Becky said...

Wow!!
IT was fun to think about that too!
BTW - That cake is gorgeous!

Christy Woolston said...

YIKES! That's a boat load. Who'd uh thunk?

The Circus said...

psh! I'm just teaching myself! Google is a great tool by typing in "how do you put fondant on a cake"... or "how do you airbrush a cake"... :) Who needs professional teachers when you have the web?

forsgren@wic.net said...

I didn't know you liked to do that stuff. Would you please send me your e-mail address, there is something I would like to talk to you about. Love reading all about you that I didn't know already. LOL Grandma Beth forsgren@wuc.net