Today is just day 2 of school. I dropped M off at school and she was all smiles and just as ready as could be to go. I told her to have a great day and she waved and said "sure thing!" and that was it - she was off. The day went on... then it was time to pick her up.
I got in line with the rest of the cars, told the lady who I was there for, she called it in on a Walkie-talkie and a few minutes later out comes M... with her teacher. I should have known - the day was going too smoothly.
So, M's teacher comes to the driver window and explains that M had a horrible day - and she was surprised that I didn't get a call from the school. It all started with a piece of trash on the playground. M threw her snack wrapper on the ground and Mrs. M (the aid) asked her to pick it up, at which point she refused. So they asked her again - and again she refused. She started to pitch a fit and she was told that she would lose her recess if she didn't pick up her trash - and she still refused.
The ill behavior escalated from there. She yelled at kids in PE, she didn't participate, she wouldn't get out of her chair when it was time to rotate classes which forced the teachers to push her (in her chair) down the hall to her next class, and the last straw... she tripped Mrs. S (her teacher), causing her to fall on top of M.
Where this behavior is coming from is beyond me. We don't see this sort of mean streak in our home. M said it was because she missed me. I wonder if part of this was testing new boundaries because at Orchard, when M would "melt" they'd just call me - but at Spectrum calling home is not an option for a student because many of them use it as a way to get out of work.
Anyway... I'm mortified. I can't believe that this sweet young lady would resort to such measures and she can't seem to tell me what set her off. I get that kids get mad, I get that they do things that are seemingly "out of control" from time to time - but good grief - this was like full blown NOT ACCEPTABLE and she went from 0-60 in no time flat. WHAT THE HECK?!
Ugh...this too shall pass and I know that where M is is where she belongs - I just hope that she learns to control these things before they decide to kick her out! Pray for me!!
4 comments:
yikes... will be praying
Stay strong lady!
It will be okay, I'm sure of it. It's a big change for her, and once she gets used to things and routines and people, she'll settle into things. You're such a good Mom!
I am praying as we speak, I do have to say that gave me a good laugh!! She will be fine in a few days.It's just new!
Post a Comment