When M was really little - like 2 years old - we noticed that one of her eyes didn't really stay center and seemed to "wander" to the outside. She would have a really hard time pulling it back in and focusing and it was more creepy to us, as parents, than anything else! So after a few Dr. visits, M was taken down to Denver, Colorado to see a specialist that dealt with kids and these sorts of oddities! It was determined at that time that M had something called "intermittent exotropia" - basically her eye muscles on the outside of her eye are tighter than the ones on the inside so when she was tired or spacing out, her eye would just fall off to the side!
So we did some eye therapy and some patching and that was it. We noticed that she was getting stronger with regards to holding here eye in place and when the problem seemed to basically disappear we were given the all clear and that was that!
Now fast forward 7 (almost 8) years! M had an appointment with the Occupational Therapist at school. The OT noticed that M was "missing" stuff... like balls rolled at her and such. She also writes slanted...even on lined paper! My first thought was HER EYES! So we made an appointment with a pediatric opthomologist and got M in!
M did so great! She sat still, she endured the horrible eye dilating drops, and she answered all the questions. When the exam was done we were presented with GREAT news... M sees perfectly!! 20/20 or better in both eyes! Even better news, she has learned to control the "lazy eye" so much that we may only see it now when she is tired or zoning out so she will never need a surgery to correct it, and she should never lose the ability to use that eye due to lack of muscle control! YIPEE!!
Then the next bit of information was given.... an ASTIGMATISM in BOTH eyes! Oh joy!! Isn't that an old people thing? I asked M "are you an old people?" and she just laughed! Fortunately the astigmatism is so slight that it isn't affecting her right now, but we were given a prescription for glasses just the same and told that we could fill it and see if it helps or just wait and do yearly check-ups on her eyes. Dr. Miller said that the glasses will just make some fine details a little sharper for her and could help her in reading - so we'll see.... she could look cute in glasses, and if it gives her confidence in her reading then we may have to go for it!

4 comments:
not for old people...I've had one since I was a teenager...LOL
That is good news for M. WooHoo!
Yea for glasses! That is a fun club to be in! Will has a stigmatism too!
Um... I have lazy eye - and I control it pretty well with Contact lenses... This could be a great thing! Also, if you recall, I've had astigmatism since I was about 8 years old. I must be an old people too.
On a side note - I found the jars I was looking for. :) They are going to be SO CUTE! :)
Hey cuz, It's been forever since I've seen your blog. Astigmatism is the shape of your eye and it's very common. I have it too, but I haven't worn glasses yet. I'm in denial. LOL. I'm glad her eye has corrected itself. I do remember her having it patched. Alexis had to have hers patched too, but she has been in glasses since she was 4. Anyhow, since I work in the eye department, I thought I would comment! Love ya
Post a Comment