Tim had the opportunity to go ice-fishing on Saturday. He's never gone before but he was invited and after a lot of back and forth he finally decided to go. From what I understand - IT WAS COLD! -21 degrees to be exact. Don't worry though - it warmed up by the time they got on the ice (to -3). Tim packed a thermos of hot cider and took some food, but he said it was all frozen (or lukewarm) by the time he was able to get to eat it!
Anyway... since I wasn't there I don't have lots of info but I'll relay what I know!
The fish were biting! Tim likes to fish - and he's a "fisherman" - he fishes - but doesn't catch. That wasn't the case today - today he caught several fish (5 total with the "big one" escaping - of course!).
Between everyone in the group there were 12 keepers but around 25 fish caught. Tim brought home 2 of the Rainbow Trout for us to try. The kids were so excited to see the fish and they were so excited to eat it. So today I baked the fish in some butter and lemon pepper, made homemade rolls, buttered rice and broccoli. MMMM... it all looked so good. Then it was time to eat. I liked it!! But that was it. Everyone else had SOMETHING to complain about. Isn't that just how it goes? Yeah, they were all talk about how excited they were to eat fish and then they didn't eat it. Tim choked it down, but you can't really blame him - he isn't a fan of fish (so why he goes fishing is beyond me!). Anyway... from the time that Tim brought the fish home to the time that they were cooked, N kept saying how bad he wanted to eat the head, and he wanted to eat the eyes, and he wanted to eat the brain. He just kept talking about it and talking about it. So, after the fish came out of the oven, I popped an eye bob (according to L - eye bobs) out of one of the fish and we put it on N's plate. Before we knew it he had that sucker in his mouth and he was chewing it. He was smiling big like "Ha - you didn't think I'd do it" and he chewed and chewed. He said it tasted like a cooked egg yolk with a hard center. He didn't swallow it - he ended up spitting it out - due to the hard center - but man, I was impressed that he simply put it in his mouth!! WOW, that kid has some guts!
Anyway.... Tim had fun, I enjoyed the freshness of the fish (which you don't get in Utah!), and it was fun to expose the kids to something new - whole fresh fish! YUM!


No comments:
Post a Comment