So I made it! But not without frustration!
Got up at 5:45am for my 7:30 flight. Have to be at the airport an hour early ya know - or they might not let you on your plane! The line for security was SUPER LONG but seemed to move along at a steady pace. A new development that I discovered - you HAVE TO use the "naked body scanner" UNLESS you are traveling with small children - then you're allowed to use the regular metal detector. UGH - was SO NOT happy about that!
I flew FRONTIER AIRLINES - with "Charlie the Cougar" as our mascot. (you know, they have the animals on the tail of the plane!) Anyway, I was at the very back of the plane (ok, so there were 3 rows between me and the back - but close enough). Fortunately I had an aisle seat. The plane left right on time - I wasn't sitting by any crying kids and all was well. 56 minutes of flight time and I was in Denver, Colorado.
Denver was just as I remembered - full of ornery rude people pushing their way to their next destination without giving you a second thought. The flight attendant at the counter was rather pleasant though - wasn't expecting that.
Again the plane got off on time, again I had an aisle seat - but this time I was on row 15 - much better! Only 1 hour and 30 minutes after the wheels went up - it was time to put them down again and just like that I landed, with Sal the Sea Lion (another Frontier animal) in Austin, Texas! I immediately noticed that I was breathing deeper - probably trying to soak up all the yummy Texas air! I also noticed the GIANT TEXAS FLAG, the smell of BBQ and Cows - mmmmm - cows!
I retrieved my bag from baggage claim without any problems and then headed to the rental car counter. There was a slight line - but not terrible. The guy at the desk did his best to upgrade me, sell me on everything under the sun and more but it didn't work. Finally when I agreed to a paper map he smiled and said "YES!" like it was some mighty accomplishment!
Got to my car and immediately noticed that it was larger than what I reserved. A Mazda 5 - seats 6 (maybe 7), and I reserved a Camary. I looked at my receipt and noticed that I was charged quite a bit more as well. UGH! The gal that was clearing the car said that I could go back in and take care of it or just call - I opted to call. I just wanted to get to the hotel and take my shoes off!
I found the hotel with little problem - thanks to a good ole' fashioned map! I borrowed a GPS and was told "her" name was "LuLu" and "LuLu" she is - she can't find a single address that I put in - so paper map it is!
I got to the hotel and check in - happy to be going to my room - but alas, it WAS NOT GOOD! I walked in and the white walls were DINGY! They weren't just a little grey - they were covered in BOOGERS and SNOT. The picture on the wall was broken and there was a little glass on the floor. The water in the bathtub wouldn't shut off. There was rust around the drain. There was more snot in the bathroom. Bullet holes in the window, and the ceiling tiles were water damaged and falling down. COME ON - this is a Howard Johnson for crying out loud!
I didn't even want to sit down - eewww - so gross! I was on the phone with the rental car people as I'm noticing all of this and all I wanted to do was to hang up and immediately call the front desk, but I had been on hold for 25 minutes already and I didn't want to give up now to start over.
Finally I got the rental car stuff taken care of and they adjusted the rate back to what I reserved my car for ($19/day and not the $33/day that they charged me). As soon as I hung up with Hertz, I got on with the front desk and told them that there was no way I was staying in that room. I returned the key and went to get something to eat while they worked it out!
MMM..WHATABURGER! I love this place! I love the burgers! I love the onion rings! I love the chocolate malts! SO DELISH! Finally, something is right in Austin!
After driving around for a while - sans GPS - I made it back to the HoJo! A new room was waiting for me and although the walls are still dingy - there are no boogers on them and BONUS they gave me a room with a microwave and fridge!! So, I kick off my shoes and begin to unload my stuff and I turn on my computer only to discover that the WiFi isn't working.
Another call to the front desk - and guess what! NO WiFi!! WHAT? This is one reason I booked this hotel - for the WiFi (and proximity to the convention center, and breakfast, and hot tub - which isn't working either!) Well, turns out that since they are renovating the hotel that there isn't WiFi throughout. UGH! I just wanted to sink down and cry!
Thank goodness for TIM - even at 1200 miles away he still saves me! He called and got me a refund on my stay and I will be changing hotels tomorrow morning. In the meantime, I'm sitting in the lobby connecting to their internet at the front desk!
I'm ready to get the show on the road. I'm ready for the fun to begin. This has been one of the roughest starts to any trip I've ever gone on!! Tomorrow will be better. Austin is a wonderful place and I'm excited to be here - so I'm ready to put today behind me and move on to tomorrow!!
Good night all (I'll post pics of the gross room and stuff when I get to my new room that has WiFi)
2 comments:
Dang...welcome back to good ole' Texas?!
I'm sorry it's been a rough start! You are right up the road from us! I hope you are able to enjoy it! :)
Hate it when a trip starts off bad. Only uphill from here right. We had a similar experience in California but when we fixed it and moved hotels it was SO, SO, much better. We felt like we were in a castle in comparison. The first things we noticed were no WIFI (a necessity when you have to do a little web work) and the broken hot tub and non-heated swimming pool. All things that were "must haves" when we booked. We got a refund and moved to another hotel down the street. AH, much better.
Good luck! And sorry Lulu isn't working.
Post a Comment