me and Tim Oct 2013

me and Tim Oct 2013

Friday, March 9, 2012

Final Days in Austin

See what happens when you get home from a trip? There is always tons to do and not much time left to blog!
But never fear, the last few days of my trip are now explained here!!

 
If you are from the South then you know the jingle..."Blue Bell, the best ice-cream in the country!" (did you sing it - did ya?) Ok...well, Blue Bell IS the best ice-cream in the country and if you haven't had it - well, you're just missing a huge part of happiness in your life. Blue Bell is made in Texas! So, being right there in the heart of this great state - I HAD TO HAVE some! Unfortunately my hotel room didn't have a freezer so I bought this pint of Rocky Road and ate the entire thing - all in one sitting! Don't judge me!


 On Monday I had a class with Roland Winebeckler. Roland started off as an artist. He painted murals for businesses and drew portraits for people. One day he fell off of some scaffolding and hurt his back. The closest place of business to his home was a bakery. He asked for a job. They said that they'd let him do his art but they couldn't pay him. By the end of that same week they were selling his cakes and BOOM - just like that he became a decorating star (that was in the 1970's). Roland and Marsha (his wife) are some of the biggest names in the world when it comes to cakes. I got to take a class on writing techniques from him! We talked about positioning, and styles. Who knew there was so much to writing!! You can see that my "circus" writing attempt isn't near as good as Roland's - but I tried... besides... I was there to learn - now I need to practice!!
 
After class on Monday I went to a place called Bone Daddy's. This is a BBQ place that my dad and brother talk about all the time. The few times that I've been to Austin, I've never been able to eat here - so I took this chance to give it a try. Bone Daddy's is like the "Hooters" of BBQ. The ribs were delicious and the creamed corn was some of the best I've ever had! Bone Daddy's also has a gift shop and some hilarious T-shirts. I took pics of the ones that really made me laugh. You'll have to click on the picture to see it better and have a laugh yourself!
 
TUESDAY: Last day to be in Texas - and again I have a class with Roland Winebeckler. Today's class is on flowers and boarders. I learned flowers a long time ago - but it's something I don't do often so I'm so out of sorts when it comes to making these delicate gems! I learned some new tricks and of course Roland was very positive and free flowing with the compliments which made me feel good. I'm awesome at the roses - it's the rest of the flowers that need work!
Anyway...there you have it!
I had a great time. I'm so glad that I took the time and money to make this happen. I met so many wonderful people and learned some amazing things!
Thanks to all of you for your love and support!
Posted by Picasa

No comments: