I have been blessed to be able to know my grandmothers. I am grateful that my kids, too, know these wonderful ladies. But sometimes I wonder about them! My grandma Alice has been calling my aunt Donna to find out when I'm going to get to Baton Rouge so that she can have us over for lunch. Now, why wouldn't she just call me? Or call my mom?
Alice is an interesting grandma. She's never been the lovey type. She wants to see "prim and proper" grand kids - you know, the type that sit pretty, do what they are asked, don't speak unless spoken to, etc.. well, she never got that from me or my siblings so maybe that's why she doesn't speak to us too often. Alice's theory is "I've raised my kids, I'm not raising yours too" and therefore we never really had sleepovers at grandma's house or spent incredible amounts of time with her. Yet, anytime we're in town she does want to see us and I am grateful for that. I know that she does her best as a grandma. She enjoys our company and she loves us in the best way that she knows how. She usually has some sort of cookies prepared and she always has our pictures out on the fridge!
Then there is my grandma Ross. She is a neat lady - lots of stories and generally a strong woman. Not only did she raise her 3 kids but she also took on about 7 of her grandchildren as well, and still has one living with her to this day! She is what we call a "milk and cookies" grandma. (well, it's more like - anything you see you can have it grandma). She loves us to death as well as the great grand kids. She sends monthly letters and pictures for the kids to color, she calls frequently, and she offers her opinion if you want it or not! I never questioned whether I was welcomed at her home or not - I knew that she loved me and I know that she loves me still. I know that she's proud of me because she expresses it often!
As for my kids they have 4 grandmothers and 3 great grandmothers! How lucky can you get? I know that this wonderful group of women loves these kids and a special few of them would give everything for these kids! Let's see if I can sum up my thoughts on each grandma in a few sentences.....
GG (great grandma) Alice: loves the great grand kids but doesn't provide much interaction. Maybe this is my fault - I could do better at calling! She sent b-day cards to 2 of the 3 kids! I think she has early onset Alzheimer's.
(GG) **Tim's Paternal Grandmother: hasn't seen my kids since Nathan was born. In fact, he was about 6 weeks old when we last saw her and he's now 5. She doesn't send cards (she used to, but has since stopped) and she doesn't call. Maybe we need to call her - I sent her a Christmas card!!
GG Ross:Always calls, loves these kids beyond measure. Has major health issues but manages to make a blanket here and there, always sends letters and coloring pages and remembers every birthday. She genuinely wants to know what each child is doing and how they are doing and she looks forward to seeing them when they are in town!
(G) **The wife of Tim's Father: I think that she loves the kids. She always sends gifts and cards on special occasions (always a few days ahead of time - even if it is to the wrong address). She never really calls and we haven't seen them since Nathan was a few weeks old either. My kids don't really know this grandma**. They don't know what she looks like, sounds like, etc.. I wouldn't call her a "milk and cookies" grandma. Often times she is more interested in the progress of her home! What my kids know about **this grandma is only from me and my opinion and I'm not so sure that that's positive!
G Ronda:Not much I can say about Ronda. She is new to our grandma family - she married my dad. So far we really like her. When everyone is together, she is often found with several kids on her lap - not complaining at all and always wearing a smile. She does her best to please the kids and make sure that they are happy! We love Ronda!
G. Sandy: Loves these kids a ton --even though sometimes we can tell who the favorite grandchild is and it is noticeable to the other kids, I understand that she has her reasons for acting the way she does. I think that she would be here in a heartbeat if we needed her and I know that if it were serious that she would be. After all, she did drive to Moab for me just to check on Kahlyn a few weeks ago - and she was only there for a little bit. I appreciated that tremendously. She is getting better in her dealings with these little guys and trying not to be so judgemental. She still tends to try and parent/correct issues and she is certainly a "milk and cookies" grandma! She thinks of these guys when she is shopping, at church, at home, or wherever she is. She always calls to say HI and she always sends e-mails asking about "kid updates!" She enjoys taking walks with these guys too and showing them new things! We'll keep her!
G. Martha: this woman would give you the shirt off of her back if you needed it! She loves these kids more than I can express. She enjoys spending time with them, she enjoys talking to them and she always wants to know what's going on in their lives. I love that Martha is a grandma - she steps back and allows us to parent (even when she disagrees with our decisions) and she spoils the kids like a grandma does (even if I think it's too much!). She is always thinking of them when she is out shopping and she makes sure that they each know that she loves them and that they are welcomed in her home at any time. Martha always sends a little card (even if it's late) and she always tries to teach the kids something new when she is with them. I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that if I needed Martha to be here that she would be. That's how she has always been and I'm so incredibly grateful for that. I hope that these kids pick up on that little act of service and implement it in their lives!
So - that's it for my thoughts on grandmas. I love their generosity and kindness, I love the ones that are in my family and that affect the daily lives of my kids. So, to all grandmas - spoil those grand kids and make sure that they know you love em'! I hope that when I'm a grandma that my grand kids would always want to be with me - I hope that I can teach them and love them as these wonderful women are doing for my own kids right now! THANKS LADIES!
2 comments:
We love Grandma's! And you are blessed with a whole slew of them. Bless their hearts, their efforts and their "milk and cookies".
Now ... why would anyone be offended by THAT post???? ;)
LOVE YA
Post a Comment