So, we made it back to Utah just in time for Lane's appointment! Today is the day that we pick up the helmet! You know, the one that will help his ears fall back in line and cause the left side to become beautifully rounded instead of perfectly flat! While we waited on the helmet, Lane enjoyed the toys in the room! He had no idea what he was in for... 
First they came in with the helmet and used a sharpie to mark areas that needed to be shaved. After they shaved off the excess plastic they attached the purple strap and marked how far to tighten it when it's on Lane's head. Lane wasn't thrilled with this - he squirmed and cried a little. I'm sure that it was terribly uncomfortable - it looks hot and heavy!
By the time they were finished making all of their marks and explaining the process and how to keep the helmet clean, Lane was a semi happy boy - I even got a quick smile out of him! He has endured the helmet well so far. He pulled at it for a few minutes in the Dr.'s office - but hasn't since. He is sleeping now and doesn't seem to be uncomfortable. I'm so grateful that we are in a position to be able to provide this for Lane. Some say that this is a cosmetic choice, however, I believe that we can either take care of this now, or endure thousands of dollars in psyc. bills because he'll be embarrassed later about his miss-shappened head! So, what do you do?!
3 comments:
Welcome home! These helmets used to be so much uglier. They have come a long way. What a trooper!
You know that all the tears, and bad days will be worth it in the end. Lili wore a hip brace that went up over her shoulder and lifted her hips into place. There were some days where I thought oh man not today, but now she is fine and I don't have to worry about her hips popping out.
CUTIE! I love it! He's cute even with a helmet head - I am glad that you are back. See you soon for some swim time!
Post a Comment