me and Tim Oct 2013

me and Tim Oct 2013

Friday, July 18, 2008

Water Softeners!


I'm sure this image is as foreign to many of you as it is to me! It's a water softener! I learned today a little about these babies! You see, the water is brought into your home and to this nifty little device where resin balls bounce around and break up the molecules in the water giving you "soft" water. "Soft water" is easier to rinse, doesn't leave spots on your dishes when they come out of the dishwasher, etc.. As you know, we found out that the reason we had no water in our home was due to something in the softener! Well, those cute little resin balls turned to mush - after years of doing their job, they just couldn't handle it anymore! After they turned to mush, they clogged the "trash trap" and broke through it - clogging the water line!
Now we know the problem!! We just have to wait for it to be fixed! In the meantime - HARD WATER - but this is nothing new, I've never had a water softener before and so far they don't seem worth the trouble!

2 comments:

Christy Woolston said...

From what I've seen they are definately worth the trouble. The use of hard water, over time, will ruin your appliances and other necessities (dishwasher, washer, disposal, faucets, shower heads, etc.). Not to mention the yuck on the dishes. BUT using a product called Lemishine in the dishwasher prevents the hard water build up on both the dishes and the dishwasher. Even with a water softener, my dishwasher has never looked so clean.

Anyway, Good luck with all that. I guess it is the bitter sweet of renting. Bitter because of the waiting but sweet because it doesn't have to come out of your pocketbook.

Tiffany said...

I have to laugh because we have had a water softener at both of our last two houses, but we have never known how to use them...so we don't. We never wanted to pay $75 to have a plumber come out to teach us...go figure :) If you don't mind scrubbing hard water stains, I say, save a bag of salt and keep it off :)