
I came home from Grand Junction with about 3 1/2 DOZ ears of corn. After dividing this up between my sisters, I ended up with 1 doz. ears. I knew that we wouldn't be eating this any time soon so I decided to freeze it. So off to husking I went. Slowly peeling away each green layer of protection to reveal the silk and finally the corn. One by one the kids started to come and see what I was up to - and of course they wanted to help! So, I showed them what to do and handed them each an ear of corn. As Nathan finally peeled away the last bit of green he said "AH HA - there is a piece of corn in there!" (what did he think we were doing?)
As he grabbed the 2nd piece of corn I started to explain that each part of the corn has a special name. I pointed out the husk, the stem, and so on. Then I said "this hairy stuff is called the silk".
Kahlyn replies "I like to call it corn hair or maybe we should call it ear hair because it's an ear of corn..."
Nathan says "YEAH - I like to call it ear hair. Grandpa D is growing ear hair. It sort of looks like this - really long"
I just continued what I was doing and trying not to pee my pants as I laughed!!
1 comment:
I hope I never have ear hair. :)
That's so funny! Kids do manage to supply their fair share of humor for us adults.
Post a Comment