This is me venting - sorry if I offend you.
Yesterday I got a call from my mom - it was a good conversation. I hang up and 2 seconds later (not kidding) the phone rings and it's my mom's mom (Grandma A.). She hardly calls at all but wanted to give me a ring and thank me for the weekly e-mails that I send to her because she feels like she is starting to connect with my family. It was a good conversation. I hang up the phone - walk to the table to eat my dinner (which is now waiting for me) and the phone rings again. UUGGHHH - this time it's my other grandma (Grandma R). Although it isn't really her on the line, but rather my cousin Charlie who just wants to chat. This is all fine and dandy as I don't hear from him often. He has some problems and lives with my grandmother - he has for his ENTIRE life and he's 30yrs old. His father and mother are moochers, non - existent type of parents. It's pathetic. So, Charlie and I have a good conversation and in it he tells me that he and my grandmother will be moving at the beginning of the year. WHAT? Stop the car here Pancho - are you making this up?
History: I have an aunt that is off her rocker. She kicked her own mother out of the home that she knew. She plots to deceive, she is ruthless and only looks out for herself. She has lied to her children and the family as a whole and it makes me sick! Several years ago a hurricane dropped a few trees on my grandmother's home and she was forced to move from a place that she loved dearly. Now that property is sitting empty - all grown over with weeds and bushes and trees.
YESTERDAY: So I ask Charlie to speak with grandma and he passes off the phone. I ask her what's happening - I hear you might be moving. And she begins to tell me that another cousin of mine had his idea.... Guess what - he is the son of this Aunt. I immediately start to feel sick and can see where this is going. Sure it sounds all good and everyone is happy but seriously this is going to come back and bite her in the butt and everyone is going to get screwed. They now want to clear the land and build a new home on it. GREAT - that would be wonderful - but what happens when she leaves this world? What will happen to Charlie and to this new home? Is the one that is building it going to claim it to be his and take it all back? Is she going to be protected and have her estate taken care of the way she wishes - because we all know that it hasn't been up to this point. UUGGHHH!!
All I want is to see her happy and to see Charlie be taken care of in the way that he needs. Anytime someone says "I'm doing this for grandma" it usually comes with a pre-condition and she gets screwed. This isn't how family is supposed to behave - we're supposed to be watching out for each other and helping where we can. We're supposed to be supportive and involved. But you know what - when this sweet woman passes on there is a whole side of my family that will be severed. There is a whole side that will no longer communicate with each other (unless we are in court together and believe me that's a real possibility). There is a whole side that won't know where anyone lives, who's alive or dead, etc... This is just sad and what's worse is that they brought it on themselves by looking out for #1 and no one else.
So there - it's off my chest and I can move on - thanks!
4 comments:
I am so sorry :( I have a group of people in my family like that and it is SO frustrating not only to see them make such poor choices, but poor selfish choices that end up hurting other more vulnerable members of the family. In times like this, moving to Alaska feels like my favorite option :)
Guess the emails are working, they are starting to call more and involve you more. Are ya sure that's what you want? JK...Family is family even with all of the disfunction.
I totally agree with you Ais and I couldn't have put it better myself. It pisses me off so bad the way Sharon treats Grandma and how everyone else seems to be out to "use" her. Too bad we can't just move her out here for the remainder of her time here.
I am so sorry, we have a situation like that with my grandfathers Piano. It makes me so mad everytime the subject is brought up.
Post a Comment