me and Tim Oct 2013

me and Tim Oct 2013

Monday, February 2, 2009

Question of the day...

Q: Describe the worst date you've experienced.

A: I am really having to think about this one, because although I had numerous "boy friends", I seldom went on dates. Much of the time a date consisted of going to the mall, or hanging out at the swimming pool. I was so wrapped up with the swim team that I hardly had time to do much else! There is one thing that comes to mind however, and it wasn't that it was a bad date - I just felt bad the entire time because of how it came to be.
You see, I lived in a suburb of Houston, Tx and there was a young man that I really liked who lived north of Houston - nearly an hour away. There was a church dance that he would be attending and I really wanted to go too. My dad, however, said "no". He said it was too far of a drive and that I didn't even know this boy. Of course this was the end of my world. I had to see him or he might forget about me and not like me anymore. I begged, I pleaded, I cried - and the answer was still no.
I went into my bathroom, slammed the door and just yelled "I hate you" - over and over again. I was mad at my dad, mad at God for not making my dad understand, mad at the church people who arranged a dance so far away, etc.. It was every one's fault that I couldn't go out and do what I wanted to do! After about an hour of pitching a huge fit, my dad softly knocked on the bathroom door and said "the car is warming up - let's go". We didn't talk the whole way. My dad waited in the car in the parking lot the whole time we were there.
I felt horrible - but I did my best to have a good time. What made things worse was that the young man didn't pay near as much attention to me as I wanted him to - so it was a waste of time anyway. On the drive home I apologized to my dad. I don't know what made him change his mind. Maybe it was a daughter thing - but regardless, looking back I know that he did that for me because there was absolutely no reward in it for him.
So, although that wasn't a real date, it's the worst "date" I can think of, and I'm happy it's behind me now!

2 comments:

Christy Woolston said...

AHHHH! Go Dad! What a guy! It was inevitable, you know. Things like that always are. You build them up in your mind and there's always disappointment waiting for you. There is very little that can live up to our fantastical expectations.

Heidi Sue said...

Dad's are good that way. I am glad that was the worst date. I feel the same way Christy does. It's like getting something that you really want and then later you wonder why you wanted it so bad,or you find that it isn't as cool as you thought it wouold be.
Thanks for you comment on my blog.