Not sure what to write about today, but I hate it when I click on a blog and it's the same post that's been there for over a week! (or month) I enjoy reading what others are up to. I enjoy their pictures. I enjoy their adventures - or lack thereof! So, I'm making a post just so you have something to read! It's not snowing - currently - but don't worry, that's supposed to be back tonight!
OH -I know...yesterday I followed in my Father's footsteps - something that I didn't think I'd do! When I was growing up my dad had chore lists A, B, C, etc.. (depending on how many kids were in the house - and it was usually only 2 of us - so A & B). The list had things to do daily and a place to check them off. They were kept on the fridge so that he could find them and also check to see if things were done. Not only did they have to be done - but they had to be done properly every time or it would be re-done. The lists were long and cumbersome. The house needed to be virtually spotless all the time because clients would come over to see my dad at home instead of his office. I hated these lists. On the flip side these lists taught me how to work and clean properly and to this day I'm proud of knowing that little skill.
Yesterday I was tired of telling the kids what to do and then seeing it only half done. On Saturday we had a lesson on cleaning the bathroom. We all gathered in the bathroom and went step by step. Yesterday I created a chore list - A, B, & C. I handed them out and explained how they worked and that if each chore wasn't completed by the end of the week that they got to keep their list the next week instead of changing it with a sibling.
Of course they grumbled. Only 1 child got the work completely done for Monday - any guesses on who that was? Here's a hint - it wasn't a girl! So, we'll see how that goes. If it works, it will lighten my load and in the process teach some skills to my kids.
So, do I thank my dad, or grumble because I'm doing what he did? Does it matter? Probably not!!
2 comments:
DID YOU READ MY BLOG!?
Too funny, I agree, I think that everyone helps mess the house up, why should the mom's be stuck cleaning it EVERY DAY! My kids weren't too happy with me yesterday, but I am sick and tired of them not doing the chores how they should be done. it is a waist of time unless they do it right the first time.
You thank your Dad. I would venture to guess that this is a struggle for every Mother. My kids have the same chore list for a month so they learn really well how to do each room. The knowing how doesn't stop them from being lazy with the accomplishment of the task. They still try to half heartedly do their chores.
Post a Comment