me and Tim Oct 2013

me and Tim Oct 2013

Saturday, May 2, 2009

It's Derby Time!

Don't ask me why or how it came to be but I LOVE the Kentucky Derby! I look forward to it. I read about the horses. I listen to the stories. I watch a good chunk of the coverage! I don't own a horse, I don't live near a race track, and I don't even bet on the race. But for whatever reason - I LOVE IT! If I lived near a track you can bet that I'd be there - every year! So today is the 135th anniversary of the Kentucky Derby. There are lots of contenders this year - will there be another triple crown winner? Barbaro was so close 2 years ago - but he broke his leg in the 3rd race - poor thing. No one was even close last year. But this is a new year, new colts, new blood! Some of my favorites are:
Chocolate Candy - owned by Jenny Craig (that's they only reason)
Friesan Fire - he's won his last 3 races and his owner is American but resides in Spain
General Quarters - beautiful grey colt - won his last race - owner was a member of the US Army and the Jockey is French - how's that for irony?!
and finally...
Hold Me Back - ridden by my FAVORITE jockey - Kent Desormeaux from Louisiana. Kent has a cool story and I love watching him ride. He rode Barbaro 2 years ago. Hold Me Back will be coming at ya from gate 5 - so keep an eye on him!!


I don't know who will win - I'd love to see any one of these 4 take the prize! After the Kentucky Derby is the Preakness and then the Belmont. Whoever wins the Kentucky Derby is who I'll pull for in the other races - I just want to see a triple crown winner - don't you?!

2 comments:

Martha said...

I learn something new about you everyday. Did you know Niels is a Kentucky colonel?

Jessica's Thoughts said...

I know the feeling. I don't know crap about it but I like watching it. I read up on your favorites, so at least I know what I am looking for now. Maybe one of these will win. Talk to you later.