me and Tim Oct 2013

me and Tim Oct 2013

Sunday, June 21, 2009

Happy Father's day...

I have lots of "Fathers" in my life. Many men who have helped me along the way, have supported me (and my family), have offered advice, have given everything - time, money, sleep, etc... for my benefit. Today is Father's day - a day that should be dedicated to the fantastic men in our lives - to the dads that have sacrificed so much! So, allow me to share with you some of the special Father's that have come into my life....
This is Niels - he is my Father-in-law. Niels is one of the most generous and kind men that I know. I have never heard him speak ill of anyone and he's always willing to lend a helping hand regardless of what he has going on. Niels enjoys speaking Dutch to the kids when they are around too and the kids think that it's wonderful! Niels loves animals, he's very smart too. Any time we have a question about a car or something around the house or yard, he's usually the first one we call. Niels has been an amazing father to Tim and Tim's brothers. He stepped in when he didn't have to and he assumed the role that was needed to help these boys grow into the men they are today. He is a great example of love and caring and I'm so glad to know him and have him in my life!
This is Dennis (we call him D). D is my step-dad. He married my mom in 1998, so we've been blessed to have him around for a few years! D is super patient and kind. He is hard working and thoughtful. He loves to sit and chat with you about anything that's going on and he is always willing to listen or offer a helping hand when needed. D has cows - they are his hobby. If you are looking for D you can usually find him on the farm taking care of his cows. He is dedicated to the Gospel, he enjoys learning and gardening. He accepted us as his "kids", and our children as his grandchildren, instantly. He has a great capacity to love and I'm thrilled that he's my step-dad. I truly love chatting with him and learning from his example!
This is my dad, Darrell. He is a hard worker and has always done his best to provide us with the necessities of life. He let us learn from our mistakes, he provided us with opportunities to learn, he supported our decisions, he took time to listen and he always had a word or two of advice. My dad has had his rough patches in his life but he's persevered and overcome and those trials have made him strong. He is always willing to help those in need, he loves his Father in Heaven and he puts his needs aside when others are in need. My dad has always been willing to give of himself for me and my family, as well as those around him. He has helped us in some of our most dire situations, he has supported us and he has granted us the ability to see and do things that we wouldn't have been able to do without his help. He loves adventures and he loves sharing in our adventures too. He's always been there for us - without question - without complaint - and I'll be forever grateful for that. I have many special memories of my dad but one in particular was when I went to Spain. After just a few days I was horribly frustrated. I couldn't understand the language, I couldn't seem to make any headway with my host family and I was ready to go home. I called my dad, crying - ok, sobbing, and begged him to bring me home. He didn't get mad, or frustrated, he simply told me that he loved me and reminded me that it was my decision to go. He asked me to give it a few weeks and we'd discuss it again later. After a few weeks I started to understand that language and see things that I hadn't seen. By the end of my year stay I begged to stay longer and my dad extended my plane ticket out another month. He was wise in his decision not to just "scoop me up" when I felt that I had fallen and was hurt. He let me grow and learn and I'm so glad that he did - those experiences were some of the best of my life.
Finally - the father of my kids, my hubby - Tim. There are many contributing factors that have caused Tim to be the type of father that he is today. He has taken those factors and has learned from them. I am always amazed by Tim and the way that he treats his role as a Father and the head of our home. He nurtures and loves these children more than most mothers do! There is a soft spot in his heart for each child - even some that aren't his own. He takes the time to play, to teach, to listen. He tucks them in bed each night and makes sure that they have the things that they need. Tim makes sure that he attends the events that are important to his kids - even if it means missing work to do so. Of course he gets frustrated from time to time, but he always makes sure that they know that he loves them - even if it was a rough day. Having had only brothers, Tim's daughters give him a run for his money and that's where I come in. I get to tell him that "it's a girl thing" or "relax, she'll change her mind (again)". I think that the girls confuse him but he doesn't let them see it - he's cool as a cucumber when it comes to their needs and desires! In addition to being a loving father, Tim sets a great example as a spouse. He treats me with the utmost respect and kindness, he helps around the house in every task that there is to help with, and he doesn't complain about changing a diaper or two. He, too, is willing to put his desires and needs on the back burner for the sake of his kids and that makes him a super special father!
So, to all the dad's out there- Happy Father's Day! I hope you know that you are loved and that you will be blessed for the sacrifices that you make on behalf of your families. Thanks for all you do - I LOVE YA!

1 comment:

Tiffany said...

Great minds think alike ;) (I did the same thing today)

Thank goodness for all of these awesome men in our lives.

I can't wait to hear how "it" turned out and what he thought of "it!"