me and Tim Oct 2013

me and Tim Oct 2013

Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Wednesday in the Bayou

Another muggy day on the bayou! Today we spent the day visiting some of my family. We stopped in to Elgin's (a Jewelry store owned by my aunt her her hubby) then off to my Grandma Alice's home (my mom's mom). We spent a good chunk of the day there - visiting and such. She made me a lemon ice-box pie. She said I hinted at having one, but I don't remember that. Regardless, she makes it with fresh lemons from her tree and it's SO delicious.
We also drove by my Grandma Ross' old home - it was destroyed during hurricane Andrew (17 years ago) and was later overcome by mother nature. Trees surrounded it and grew up all around it to the point that the roof wasn't even visible any longer. A few months ago a cousin decided to get permission to have the land cleaned up. It's to the point right now that the house is visible again. I wanted to cry when I saw it - not because of the memories or the dilapidated old house, but because of the fact that when the tree came crashing through the house, rendering it unsafe to live in, I lived in Houston - but my cousins lived here. Did they lift a finger to help get the valuable things out of the home? Did they help salvage precious memories?
NOTHING - they did NOTHING! Today I took pictures of a place that brought me happiness and lots of fond memories - in those pictures I see old clothes and pictures that have been destroyed by years of wind, rain, sunshine, etc.. It's sick I tell ya - just sick!
I got to enjoy a date with my hubby tonight too! We went to Ninfa's (my FAVORITE Mexican restaurant) then to a movie, and then to Coffee Call - YUM!
It was another nice day - one that I'll tuck away in my memory box for future smiles!

(beignets & hot chocolate at Coffee Call - so, so yummy!)

2 comments:

Christy Woolston said...

The kids and I shared a piece of lemon ice box pie last week. It WAS yummy!

luvmyav8er said...

Beignets! YUM...I haven't had those in FOREVER