K gave me an idea the other day! We were talking about ways to get M to stop sucking her thumb and K suggested "Mum Bucks" as a form of reward (or consequence) for M anytime we see her sucking (or catch her NOT sucking) her thumb! I pondered this for a while and I figured that if it works in school for the teachers then it just might work at home for the parents - right?!
Tim and I don't pay the kids in a cash allowance but we do enjoy offering rewards from time to time for the little extras that they do around the home. So, I really pondered on this idea for a few days and I decided that "Mom Bucks" would be incorporated into our household. (K really likes "Mum Bucks" - but we aren't British and I'm not a flower!)
Today I spent some time thinking about rewards and consequences that could earn (or cause you to pay) Mom Bucks. We came up with things like "causing contention due to your choices" - you pay up a couple Mom bucks or not turning in your homework! But if you are caught providing service and you're not seeking a reward then you'll get paid a few Mom Bucks!
Then we came up with a "menu" of things that you can cash your bucks in for! Things like a trip to Baskin Robbins or even Kangaroo Zoo! They might also choose to cash in some bucks for a "30 minute maid" to help with chores, or extra TV time!
I even took some time to create the bucks too - with pictures of ME right in the center!
I am hopeful that this little system will get the kids excited to do school work (since most of the rewards and consequences are arranged around school activities) and I am anxious to see if it helps them to pay better attention to how they interact with each family member. Hey - it can't hurt - right? And if I'm taking them out for a "job well done" anyway, I might as well incorporate a few Mom Bucks into the system and get a reward myself! Here's hoping!
1 comment:
We tried that once. We've since moved on to other things. I still have the home made dollars and they are all laminated. Maybe I'll pull them out again to see if it helps Miss Joye quit her habit. Then again, maybe not.
Good luck!
Post a Comment