me and Tim Oct 2013

me and Tim Oct 2013

Monday, October 19, 2009

Be PREPARED!

Tonight for FHE (Family Home Evening) we decided to discuss the purpose of a 72 hour kit and the items that belong in it. As a visual, I decided that we should open the first 72 hour kit that I ever made. After all, it is almost 9 years old! I didn't have any fantasies of eating what was inside but I thought it would be fun to see what we packed so long ago! This particular 72 hour kit was sealed in a #10 can and very light weight. We passed it around for the kids to hold so that they could see that it would be something they could handle if the need arose! Then it came time to open it. I grabbed the can opener. (one similar to the one in this picture). We quickly discovered that it wouldn't open the can. The teeth were too small to move the opener around the can. So we grabbed the can opener that we use in the Kitchen (not for emergencies) and discovered that it wouldn't even fit on the can! I found a 3rd can opener and made a little progress with it - VERY LITTLE - but if need be we would have eventually succeeded in getting the can open (maybe in an hour or so). Finally, we moved on to a 4th can opener - one that I purchased and placed with our food storage as a back up and guess what - IT WORKED!!
We got our can opened - rummaged through it's contents and learned a valuable lesson - make sure your can opener works on those #10 cans! Now we know!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

GOOD to know!

Martha said...

Niels and I are still waiting to find out what you packed and was it still in good shape.

Note to Martha: check and see if my can opener will open my #10 cans. Thanks for the heads up!