me and Tim Oct 2013

me and Tim Oct 2013

Friday, October 2, 2009

More pics from Cabo!

YAY - I have some more pics ready to go - just for you!
On our first day in Cabo we visited a ritzy mall - Puerto Paraiso. Inside they had a Mont Blanc store, lots of jewelry stores, and other fancy places that you don't even dare look towards because you can't afford the glance! We found a 5 star restaurant - Lorenzillo's - it came highly recommended but Tim and I decided that we wanted something a little more authentic! In this collage you'll also see a pic of a typical street in Cabo. We found a place called the "giggling Marlin" - I took a pic because I thought that was funny! Then of course the Cabo Wabo Cantina - (Toby Keith sings about this place!) Tim found a hat that he was rather fond of too!
Also on day one... we found a man that makes these beaded "things"! He was working on a Marlin when we found his shop. It was off the beaten path and the things he had were so unique - we didn't see them anywhere else during our entire visit! He told us that the Iguana took 3 months to make and it was nearly $3,000.00 (US dollars). It was neat to watch him put the beads on in very intricate patterns. We also ate at a place called the "taco loco". It was so tasty and very reasonably priced! I was happy that we went with something more "authentic" over the local seafood places! I found a cool place to buy a few little gifts too! We saw this boat that can dip its front down for you to see under the water and a sea lion that was begging for a treat! The local fishermen had a name for him - but I can't recall what they were calling him. Then it was back on the tender to head back to the ship for the evening!
Day 2 in Cabo brought more adventures for us! We tendered to a different pier so we got to see a little different side of the marina. We found Senior Frogs immediately and I determined that Tim is tall enough to go without his parents! ;) We found a newspaper that made us laugh - the Gringo Gazette! (an English paper!) We saw a cool lighthouse too! We saw the plants that Tequila is made from too - don't they look like goofy pineapples?! After being bombarded by locals wanting to show us places and take us places, we decided to rent a jeep and get out of town! We got a great deal - $50.00 for the day and that included taxes and insurance! On our way north we saw a Cruz Roja (Red Cross) and finally found a sign pointing us towards "Todos Santos" - the place we wanted to go. Cabo is very much like Arizona on the beach - there were cacti everywhere and mountains too - then all of a sudden OCEAN! Many of the roads were dirt and that made for a fun ride! UGH!
When we got to Todos Santos we just bounced around trying to find a way to the beach. We never did find a way to get to it - bummer - but we did see some cool things! We found a local school that had a police officer as the crossing guard. We found the Hotel California - the one that the Eagles sing about! A beautiful plaza across the street caught my attention too. I just love the Spanish influence in this area! I took some pictures of the houses we saw too. For a very poor area there were some very nice houses (not all of them were this way - just a few!). On our way back to Cabo we got caught in a storm. Being in a jeep there was no real windows so we got wet! This was actually a relief to the 100 degree temps that were causing my legs to stick to the vinyl seats with sticky sweat! Another sight that caught my attention was the markers on the side of the road where people had died. In the US it is usually a cross - but in Mexico (and Spain) it is a little hut that has a statue of Mary, Mother of Jesus, and pictures of the deceased. We finally made it back to Cabo and saw our ship from the top of a hill - I thought it was cool!
Well, that's it for now - I have more pics in the works - and I'll get them up real soon!
Posted by Picasa