me and Tim Oct 2013

me and Tim Oct 2013

Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Mom for a day

Yesterday one of my children commented to me that "it's not fair that I don't get to X when all you do is sit around and play dumb games all day". I was instantly offended and reacted quickly by getting in said child's face and with finger pointing said "don't ever tell me that I don't do anything...."
I let the comment sit in my mind all day and I just got more angry. UGH - how could this child think I don't do anything - do they not see all the dishes, laundry, meals, etc.. that I have to take care of on a daily basis just so things keep running smoothly around here? How unappreciated I felt!
As I sat stewing about this, I remembered something I saw on TV not too long ago when a teenage girl said something similar to someone that wasn't her mother. The lady in this situation was also offended (but she was a mother of 12) so she decided that the young lady could be the mom for the day. She handed the girl a list the next day of everything that needed to be done and at what time and she plopped down on the couch and took over the role of the teen.
Anyway - I decided that I couldn't just give up my motherly duties - but this child could shadow me all day - and do the things that I have to do - eat last, laundry while breakfast is cooking, dishes before and after meals, etc..
It's been interesting so far today - the attitude was one of crying and stomping and frustration. Said child didn't want to do anything and thought it wasn't fair. Soon, however this young pupil was readily helping and before long was asking - "can I watch tv yet?" and "do we really have to fold more clothes" - yes it's sinking in!!!
I know the day isn't over yet - but I think that our little lesson won't soon be forgotten. Maybe this is something I'll do with all of my children at some point in their lives - everyone needs an appreciation for their mothers!

3 comments:

Christy Woolston said...

WAY TO GO Aislinn! Definitely a lesson that will not soon be forgotten. I have been hit with that one on a few occasions and have thought about doing that same thing...something I read in a Berenstein Bears book but it was while school was in session and I wasn't willing to take them out of school. Should have made the punishment for the weekend. I'm sure I'll get another chance.

JSCrawford said...

Sometimes I wonder what kind of Mother I will be when I have teenagers. I would hope to be like you. You're very good at this parentin stuff.

Jen said...

That is a great idea Aislinn! I need to do it with my kids. The closest I got was an experience I had with my oldest son Garrett(10yrs). He was really complaining about having to clean the family room (his afternoon chores), and I was SO tired of arguing with him about it, I finally said if he didn't want to do his chores he didn't have to. I told him that I didn't like to do my chores all the time either. If he didn't, then I wouldn't. He thought I was pretty cool, until about 6:00pm when there was no dinner!! He asked why I wasn't doing it, and I reminded him I wasn't doing my chores today. Garrett didn't think making food should count. He got the idea pretty quick, and that room was cleaned, without complaint in about 5 minutes flat.
Score one for MOM!!!!
(I did eventually make dinner :)