me and Tim Oct 2013

me and Tim Oct 2013

Saturday, February 6, 2010

The wonders of Alum

Are you familiar with this little "spice"? Have you ever used it?
As I was driving down the road today I realized that I had a tiny canker sore starting to form on the inside of my lip. I HATE THESE THINGS! I usually get them from biting my lip by accident. Nasty little side effect!
Anyway, a long time ago my grandmother told me that Alum would take care of those little buggers.
Alum has a sweet yet bitter taste. It's a pickling agent - and has been used in cooking and baking for hundreds of years. It's a naturally occurring compound on the earth and it has all sorts of uses - but I wasn't aware that it could be of use to me - in my mouth! So, I dabbed a little right on the sore - my mouth puckered up and WAH-LA! That little canker sore closed up and was gone in a day!
Now I keep this sucker in my medicine cabinet for days like today when I realize that there is a little painful sore that is starting to form!
Anyway - some other uses for Alum are as a skin astringent, a teeth whitener, and even a way for men in the 50's to keep their hair standing up after a crew-cut. It also has antibacterial properties and is a good way to stop the bleeding of minor scrapes and cuts!
Oh - and wanna know why this works? Alum is a sulfate - an acid - so it sucks the moisture out of things - that's what makes you pucker and it's what keeps your pickles crisp! And that's why it closes up those nasty little sores! So there - now you've learned something new today! YOU'RE WELCOME!

3 comments:

Nikkie said...

Thank you for the Tidbit of info. I had never heard of it before. I am glad you got rid of your canker, I get them all the time, I should find me some of that stuff and try it!!!
Thank you much...

Stefani said...

I use colloidal Silver for a lot of things... it does a lot. One of my bookkeeping customer's sells it and so far it's worked pretty good at keeping colds away. It is an anti fungal, anti viral and anti bacterial. I will look up that Alum though because Doug gets canker sores every so often.

msaonika said...

Neat - I didn't know that but I have some for things that I have canned... now I will use it for so many more things. You are just a book of knowledge! Thank you!