Today is N's 7th birthday. He was born exactly 1 year and 2 weeks after M - and he was a total surprise to us! I didn't find out that we were expecting N until I was more than 4 months pregnant. You can imagine my shock (considering I had just had a baby!) when at a routine check up I was informed by my doctor - and I went home not only knowing that we were having another baby - but also that it was a boy.We waited for a while to tell our family - we needed to adjust to the shock. However, when I called my grandmother to tell her the news, she wasn't surprised. You see, I had a cousin that was also expecting - but she was expecting a girl. In a dream, my deceased grandfather appeared to my grandmother and he was holding a boy. In her dream she told him that he had the wrong baby - that it was a little girl that was coming to the family and my grandfather explained that she was mistaken and that this was their great-grandson that he'd been taking care of. So, when I told my grandmother the news - she said "ah, that explains the baby boy".
Yesterday was my grandmother's birthday - N was supposed to be born on March 28 - but shortly before we went to the hospital we got a call that there was no room "at the inn", and to wait until the 29th. I was so upset.
That night I had a dream. In it, that very same grandfather appeared in the doorway of my hospital room. He was wearing his familiar blue overalls, and the smell of pipe smoke was so vivid and real that I almost woke up. He was holding a baby boy. He smiled and looked at me - and then he looked at Tim and said "I've been taking good care of him - now it's your turn" - and he handed the baby over to Tim. A few hours later, that 6lb, 14oz - 20" long baby boy arrived with very little effort and in no time at all he was here in the flesh, in my arms. As I looked at him I knew that families are forever.
That was 7 years ago. When I look at N I am reminded of my grandfather in more ways than one and it always makes me smile.
N loves sports - he plays baseball and soccer. He is a switch hitter - and that will prove to be very valuable later in his little career! N is very smart - much like his older sister, K. He loves to read and explore new things. He likes a challenge too.
N enjoys picking on his sisters, but he also has a tremendous love for them. N is a hero to L - L looks up to him and wants to be just like him - wherever he goes!One thing that I love the most, however, is how N makes it a point to find me each morning and evening to tell me that he loves me. It's the first thing out of his mouth when he wakes up and it's the last thing he says when he goes to bed - without fail, I can count on a kiss and hug from N daily - and I love that!
So, happy birthday big guy. You'll never know how special you are to us. We love you so much and we love that you came to our family - surprise or not! You have provided love and support to your family, especially M - who has needed you since the day you were born. We know that you're here for a reason and we can't wait to find out what that is! N, you make us smile and you make us proud, each and every day!! We love you!!
2 comments:
Okay, your account of the dreams had me in tears. That is way cool! It puts it all into perspective doesn't it.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY N! We love you!
Happy birthday big guy!
Post a Comment