me and Tim Oct 2013

me and Tim Oct 2013

Sunday, July 18, 2010

Baskin Robbins....

Last Wednesday I got an e-mail from a lady named Janet. She saw an ad I had for cakes and she had a proposition for me. I responded to Janet's e-mail and told her that I'd be happy to listen to what she had to say - after all, what could that hurt? On Thursday I called Janet at the phone number that she e-mailed me and we talked for about 30 minutes. She explained that she is co-owner of 2 Baskin Robbins stores in the area and that she was in need of a new cake decorator. She explained that she knew it wasn't exactly wedding cakes but maybe by working in the store I could get some experience that I'm looking for and she can get some talent! So, we made an appointment to meet in person on Saturday. In the meantime she wanted me to send her a few pictures of cakes that I've done - and I did. She replied saying "You'll have no problem with Baskin Robbins". Now, I just awaited Saturday.
Saturday came, and I met Janet at the local BR store .... not one she owns, however... and the store was closed. So, we went to a local restaurant and got pie - yes PIE - at 10 in the morning! I LOVE HER ALREADY!
On the way to get pie, Janet mentions that she is an attorney so I mention that my hubby is to. We spent the first 3o minutes of our time together discussing a "lead" of an opening in an office - and Janet is going to put in a good word for Tim by calling the office on Monday and telling the big guy that she needs to hire my "upstanding and brilliant" husband! So we'll see where that goes.
Janet and I visited with each other, over pie, for 2 hours. She told me the history of the store that she wants me at. The history of the current decorator and why they want her gone, and her vision for the future. I gave her some ideas and she told me that she loved me - we were instant pals! Then she offered me the job. She said that minimum wage would be an insult to my talent - so she offered me more with the promise of a raise in 6 months. To sweeten the deal she said that she knows my family is important and so she wanted me to feel like I wasn't tied down and as long as her freezer is stocked, I could come and go as I please - if that's every other day, at midnight, or 10 in the morning - it didn't matter - just make sure the freezer stays stocked with decorated cakes. Then she goes further, if I can make my own roses (which I can), they will save money for the store - and put a portion of that to me. And it gets better... you know that Cricut Cake machine that I want? Yeah... that beautiful thing that cuts fondant into any shape and size... yeah... she's gonna get one for me to use and she said I can take it home and use on my own cakes. She is also gonna look at getting me a food color printer (they print edible images for cakes!). So... after all of that how could I say no? And now you know the story of my Saturday morning interview..... I start TOMORROW!

8 comments:

Becky said...

AWESOME!!!! CONGRATS!!!!!
I am so happy for you!!!!!!
(I hope the exclamation points help show that.)

msaonika said...

This is so wonderful! I am happy for you, and it will take so much stress away from the finances and stuff - you will be so happy to have something started!! I AM SO PROUD OF YOU! Love you.

A

Christy Woolston said...

YES! WAY TO GO! See, you are being watched over. I KNOW you KNOW that but difficulty after difficulty it's sometimes hard to keep it at the forefront. I know you'll make beautiful cakes and have some financial stresses relieved without compromising the family. I am proud too. Josh just volunteered to taste any cake you want to send his way. :)

Stefani said...

Wow... amazing... congrats. Sounds like a match made in Heaven ;)

Tiffany said...

EEEEEEKKKKKK!!!!!!! That is so flip-stinkin' awesome!!!!!!! Wow, that's just, wow. :)

Stephy Sue said...

How exciting! Congrats!

Heidi Sue said...

A BIG WOOT WOO FOE YOU! Way to go lady!!

Nikkie said...

WOW!! I cant believe the awsome experiences that you guys keep having. You know someone is living right. I am so happy for you. I hope this will be a fun experience for ya. We all need to get togehter and have a party again, sometime. Its always fun to hang out with you guys.