me and Tim Oct 2013

me and Tim Oct 2013

Thursday, July 8, 2010

Chapter 10... what to do with MICE!

Being a parent isn't the easiest thing in the world. There is no handbook, after all, that tells you what to do when your 12 year old daughter decides that she wants to get mice - goes out and buys them - and then doesn't tell you for a day! UGH!
So, yesterday, with tears in her eyes, K fesses up that she's been hiding these 2 mice at her friend's house. She was supposed to be having a sleep over with said friend... and during that time they snuck out, walked to a local pet shop, and purchased these little things. Cute - yes - permission - NO!!
Then, to make it even better, she got a boy and a girl mouse... yeah, that's all I have to say about that.
You'd be proud of me though. I didn't yell at her. I didn't hit the mice on the head with a hammer. I didn't throw the cage across the room. NOPE! I simply told her that I love her, that we all make mistakes, and that even if she is in charge in her mind, reality says I'M IN CHARGE and WE AREN'T KEEPING MICE!!
So, long story short (because there was really so much more we talked about as to the whys this was wrong, and why we can't keep them, and so on)... I made that sweet little brown hair, blue eyed, 12 year old girl of mine march herself right back to the pet store, mice in hand, and return them. She lost her money, because there are no refunds on feeder mice, but I think she learned a valuable lesson. So, when I start writing the coveted book on parenting, I'll be sure to include a chapter on what to do when your child comes home with mice!

2 comments:

msaonika said...

They are so dang cute though.... tiny whiskers - cute soft ears.. you cant blame her for wanting them.... after all - if she didn't temporarily save them they would have been drowned or fed to a snake...

That being said - I don't disagree with your decision...

After all - parents have to do the tough thing. LOVE YOU

Christy Woolston said...

Oh, WOW! I'm so proud of you for handling that so well. WAY TO GO! I don't think one book on parenting would do much good...I think there needs to be a book that comes with each child. AAAGH!