me and Tim Oct 2013

me and Tim Oct 2013

Monday, July 26, 2010

Pioneer Day FUN!


On Saturday, July 24, the state of Utah celebrated Pioneer Day. This is the day that Brigham Young and hundreds of pioneers arrived in the Salt Lake Valley and Brigham Young declared this to be the place that the Lord wanted them to be. So, every year, on July 24, Utah becomes a party state! Parades, fireworks, rodeos, and so on... fun fun fun! Some cities do their celebration on the 23rd to give you a choice in celebrations. Bountiful is one of those places... the parade and festivities were on Friday.
I decided to be brave and take the kids to the carnival and then to the parade (one of several). Tim was off fishing so it was just me and the kids! So, I called my friend Becky and she said that my little group of heathens could join her and her family. And
that is just what we did!
L enjoyed the parade... he watched standing, sitting, and laying down... so funny! He waved his little flag every time a new float or group would come into view!
We enjoyed sno-cones, cotton candy, nachos and ice-cream. Carnival rides and silly games also added to the fun of the day. But of all these memories there is one that I never want to forget, and that is one of M.
M loves princesses - she thinks they are beautiful and she wants to be just like them when she grows up! So, when the last float of the parade came and it was a princess float, M was in HEAVEN!
I went to grab the camera and before I could, the whole scenario had already happened. So here it is... M saw the float and got all excited. She jumped to her feet and put her hands to her face. She couldn't believe that the princesses were right in front of her! Then out of no where she puts her hands to her mouth and with the biggest grin - dimples and all - she yells "I love you princesses". She was just so giddy with excitement. As she was saying this a young man walked over to her and handed her a tiny "glass" slipper. Oh WOW... if I could have captured that moment. You would have thought that M died and went to heaven!
M held that little slipper so close, she smiled for the next few hours, she showed everyone (but you weren't allowed to touch it), and she kept telling the story over and over.
After the parade we went with our friends and watched the Fireworks. What a great day.....



No comments: