me and Tim Oct 2013

me and Tim Oct 2013

Monday, October 11, 2010

Another wedding cake...

As you know, I've been trying to break out of my comfort zone by doing something I know I can do... wedding cakes. I have a blog for this... but I don't put the stories up on that blog - just pictures! So, today I wanted to give a little background on the cake that I did on October 10, 2010 (yes.... 10-10-10). This cake was for a gal named Maggie. Maggie was very specific and involved with this cake from the time we signed the contract until the day of her wedding. She called often, she made sure I was still doing what she asked and so on. I didn't mind... she wasn't mean or overbearing or anything like that - she was simply involved. Maggie is Asian and she wanted certain influences carried throughout her wedding. So for her, she wanted the cake to be tinted a very light pink on the inside with a Bing cherry filling. NO PROBLEM!
I began making this cake on Thursday - 3 days before the ceremony. I baked 4 of the 6 cakes before I realized that I had forgotten to tint them pink! UGH... back to square one! (In addition to this, I put coconut extract in one of the cakes instead of vanilla.... I just couldn't win!). By Friday evening I had all 6 cakes baked - PINK tinted and everything - and they were chilling in the freezer.
Maggie sent me an e-mail to remind me that she had the flowers and that she wanted to put them on the cake because she knew what she wanted it to look like. NO PROBLEM!!
Saturday evening - I iced the cakes and put them in the fridge.
Sunday - I finished decorating the cakes and double checked the contract!
3 tiers - check
Pink inside- check
Cherry filling - check
scroll work in the middle - check
pearl icing border - check
MY JOB WAS DONE... now to deliver to TUSCANY (a beautiful Italian place in Salt Lake) and await Maggie with the flowers and the cake stand that she wanted and would provide. Time to meet - 3:30!
At 3:45 there was NO MAGGIE! So I called her. She was still in Bountiful - 30 minutes away. WHAT? He wedding was supposed to begin at 4:45... ugh... hello? She had EVERYTHING that I needed to complete the cake. So she asked me to please wait - and I did. Maggie finally showed up around 4:20 and I got the cake onto the stand - but there it stood, no flowers. Remember, Maggie gave me specific instructions that she was going to do the flowers because she knew what she wanted. Well, at 4:30 she looked at me, looked at the cake and said "Oh, YOU need flowers" - WHAT?!
No, no Maggie... YOU need flowers... not me - remember?
But lo and behold... here comes little Maggie with a dozen pink roses and some other white flowers that I have no clue about and says - I want them here and sort of like X. And then she leaves. HELLO? Don't you remember when YOU said that YOU were doing this? I didn't even have scissors with me to cut the flowers. I wasn't sure if I was even doing what she wanted but HEY.... I had to do something and so I did.
Tim was an AMAZING help... he cut all the flowers and helped pull off the petals that weren't so pretty. He found scissors for me too! And together we put the flowers on the wedding cake! So, what do you think? Nothing like a little last minute stress to remind me that I'm alive!

4 comments:

Christy Woolston said...

CRAZY! Bet you lost 5 pounds just sweating it a little. HEHEHE! It is beautiful.

Library Mary said...

This is a beautiful cake, Aislinn. Do you ship? I promise to put my own flowers on top!

kelly said...

I think it's lovely!

Monarch Photography said...

I like this cake a lot! It looks great!