me and Tim Oct 2013

me and Tim Oct 2013

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Amonia....

Ammonia is good for lots of things:
* cleaning mirrors
* cleaning floors
* cleaning corroded stainless steel tanks
* cleaning out the nostrils and insides of humans that inhale too much of the noxious fumes... yum.

Another productive day at the site.... got lots done (3 more systems finished and 1 to go). Part of the chemical process that is used for what I'm doing involves Ammonia. At about 8am this morning I had the pleasure of testing the PH levels on a tank while the Ammonia was being injected. Just as the barrel was being opened a puff of pressure was released, carrying those nasty fumes with it - and guess where I was standing? Yeah, right by the barrel! YUM. My nose and throat were on fire and my eyes were watering - you never get used to Ammonia. Now you are probably wondering why I was there if I knew that there was pressure in the barrel- well, here is the Chemistry lesson for the day.
Ammonia expands and pressure builds when it gets hot. This is why Ammonia is best stored in a cool area. Our barrel was being stored outside, until last night - we left it in because we knew we'd need it first thing this morning and the room we are working in is rather warm. So, the gases expanded and when the top was opened the gases escaped and poof.... right into my face.
So that was the fun of the day.
Chat with you more tomorrow!!

2 comments:

Christy Woolston said...

I can relate to that all too well. When we lived on the chicken farm, the ammonia from the chicken poo would get sooooo strong in the summer heat. I remember the burn and it has been what...28 years.

Martha said...

Hope you are safe and well!!