me and Tim Oct 2013

me and Tim Oct 2013

Monday, February 7, 2011

Congrats to M

Last Tuesday Tim felt like he should check on the status of M's name in a lottery for the Spectrum Academy (a school for high-functioning autistic children and children with Asperger's). He called the school at 1pm to make sure that her name was on the list for the lottery. We weren't sure when the lottery would be held, we just knew that it was sometime early in the year. When Tim called he found out that M's name was NOT on the list - it was 1pm and the lottery for next year was at 2pm that very same day. We aren't sure why her name wasn't on the list, we submitted it back in October via e-mail, but I suppose they never received it. Anyway.... the lady put M's name down and at 1:30 we received an e-mail confirmation that her name was in the lottery for the 2011-2012 school year.
We waited and checked the website frequently but there were no updates. Then on Friday I clicked on the website and there it was - a link for parents to check the lottery results. I wasn't sure if I wanted to click the link. After all, the class sizes are small, the number of kids wanting to get in is huge, and this is the only school like this in the state. So, as I moved the mouse over the link I could feel my stomach in knots....and I knew that the tears were gonna come- one way or another. I scrolled past the list of Kindergartners, the single kid selected for 1st grade, 1 for 2nd grade and down to 4th grade. There were only 5 openings - only 5 names. My eyes moved down the list slowly, but not too far down.... name number 2 started with an M. I read it and re-read it again. Then I spelled each letter aloud to make sure it was the same M - my M. When reality hit me that her name had been selected, the tears did come. Gratitude swelled in my heart and I hit my knees in gratitude to my Father in Heaven for this sweet blessing.
As excitement set in we just couldn't believe how much this could potentially change M's future - her understanding - her social skills - her education. To get to attend a school that is for children with Autism, taught by educators that understand that you can't force your way into their world but wait for them to come to you, guided by doctors who are WILLING to help..... wow!
So there you have it - something very exciting for our whole family!
In other news.... K made the honor roll in her online school. N will be tested for the Spectrum PROGRAM (not to be confused with the Academy) for gifted learners to see if he qualifies for that next year. L is growing like a weed and is officially the tallest 3 year old that our little family has had. At his check up last week he weighed in at 31lbs and 39" - so he is slender and tall (well, tall for our kids). (Sad thing is that M - almost 9 - is about 40lbs)
Some funny things: L claims to be "Captain donut" and told the Dr. - when she listened to his heart - that he had rotten donuts in his tummy so watch out!
In wedding cake news: I have 3 cakes for March - YAY!!
Ok - that's all for now!!
Hope all is well with you - wherever you are!

1 comment:

Heidi Sue said...

Congrats M !!! You will love it!